1. Salter’s Steamers Ltd (hereinafter referred to as the “Company” ) will do all it reasonably can to ensure that vessels run to the times shown in the timetables or to times agreed in the case of privately hired vessels. However, all times are approximate and circumstances including but not limited to force majeure, strikes, lock-outs, breakdowns, delays at locks and other causes beyond the Company’s control may prevent vessels from operating punctually or indeed at all. The Company will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from delay, the failure of any vessel to operate, unfavourable weather, strong stream conditions or the failure of any passenger to board a scheduled vessel.
2. Passenger Boat charters are subject to the river and weather conditions being satisfactory at the time of sailing. If strong stream, wind, drought or any other adverse conditions beyond the Company’s control prevent a sailing taking place, the vessel must remain moored for the duration of the charter. If adverse conditions prevent a vessel from collecting passengers from a venue, the Company’s liability to the client shall be no greater than the amount paid by the client to the Company in respect of the function. The Company reserves the right for the appointed Captain to retain all decisions concerning the ability for the vessel to embark or have the intended journey both in so far as route and distance varied and such decisions shall be at the Captain’s complete discretion at all times
3. Descriptions of passenger vessels. Most passenger vessels in our fleet are similar to those shown in our current brochure. Please note all our passenger vessels are diesel powered. The Company reserves the right to withdraw vessels from service and to operate alternative vessels or trips.
4. A vessel privately hired by reference to passenger capacity may at the option of the Company be substituted by another similar vessel of equivalent capacity. The Company shall also have the option to substitute another similar vessel of equivalent capacity for a specific vessel privately hired in the event of that vessel being withdrawn from service or prevented from operating as required or at all for any reason. In the event of no similar vessel of equivalent capacity being available for all or part of the period of a hiring the Company shall refund the appropriate portion (equivalent to the period of the hiring for which no such vessel is available) of the hire fee.
5. In the event of such vessel replacement referred to above, the Company shall use its reasonable endeavours to provide a like for like replacement but this may not always be possible and is such circumstances the size and nature of the replacement passenger boat shall remain at the Company’s complete discretion. The Company shall have no obligation to notify you in advance of any replacement vessel
6. Bookings of vessels and catering shall not be secured until a deposit equal to one half of the price has been paid and the balance must be paid at least two weeks before the date the trip is to be made. If not complied with by the client, the booking may at the option of the Company be deemed cancelled. If the client wishes to make a cancellation, the cancellation shall not be effective until written notice thereof has been delivered to the Company in writing. In the event of cancellation for whatever reason the deposit will be forfeited. For cancellations up to 28 days before the trip, only 50% of the deposit will be forfeited and the person in whose name the booking is made shall be responsible for any further expenses incurred by the Company.
7. The Company reserves the right to insist on a further security deposit (being a sum not exceeding 25% of the total booking fee) being paid ahead of the trip which shall be refunded in full no later than 7 days after the trip unless further expenses have been incurred by the Company as a result of conduct and or actions of the passengers in which case all reasonable costs associated with the same shall be deductible from the security deposit and the balance retuned to you with a breakdown of the deductions
8 (a) The hirer has had the opportunity to inspect a typical vessel (e.g. as illustrated in the Company’s Passenger Boat brochure). The Company gives no warranty that a vessel hired is suitable for the hirer’s purpose.
(b) The Company bases its charges upon private use of its vessels by hirers and does not carry insurance against loss of profits on the part of the hirer in the event of unforeseen delay, cancellation or unavailability of a suitable vessel.
(c) In the event that a hiring does not take place as a result of non-performance by the Company, the Company’s liability is expressly limited to the return to the hirer of the deposit and other monies actually paid to the Company in respect of the hiring. Any loss of other costs, or claims, damages or expense arising from such non-performance are in all respects at the hirer’s risk and the hirer is recommended to insure against such risk.
9. No claim of whatever nature shall be enforceable against the Company unless written notice thereof has been given within fourteen days of termination of the trip from which it arises. The Company accepts no liability whatsoever for injury or damage to personal items arising from inappropriate or reckless behaviour of any passenger nor arising from inappropriate footwear being worn by the passenger and it is strongly recommended that flat or low heeled footwear is worn by passengers and extreme caution taken when moving around the vessel
10. The Company cannot guarantee the reservation of a particular seat on the vessel.
11. The Company reserves the right to refuse to book or to cancel any bookings taken or to carry any person/persons without giving any reason; but in the event of cancellation of the booking by the Company, the Company will be liable to refund any monies taken in respect of the booking. The Company will not be liable for any loss or damages (whether direct or indirect) arising from the cancellation.
12. The person in whose name a private hire reservation is made shall be responsible for all payment of account and for the conduct of passengers during the booking and on disembarking. The hirer shall make good and/or pay for all losses damage or breakages to any fixture, fittings, machinery or equipment resulting form the conduct of passengers. Unless previously agreed by the Company no passengers are allowed to bring alcoholic drinks on board the Company’s vessels. Any unauthorised alcohol brought on to the vessel by passengers shall be confiscated by the Captain or other employee of the Company and returned at the end of the trip at the Captains discretion
13. In the case of privately hired vessels tickets must not be put on general sale to members of the public unless written permission has been obtained by the Company.
14. Dogs are welcome aboard our vessels as long as they are on a lead and are accepted at the discretion of the purser.
15. All catering, bar, music, and sailing direction details should be clearly stated when completing the booking form. Instructions thereafter will only be accepted in writing from one organiser or representative. Written confirmation of the final number of persons to be catered for must be received and paid for in full not later than seven days prior to the date reserved. No alterations are accepted within the seven days prior to the event.
16. The Company has been granted a premises licence from Oxford City Council under the Licencing Act 2003. The vessels are permitted to serve alcohol from 9am until 12 midnight. The Company operates a zero tolerance policy towards underage drinking, the taking and possession of illegal substances and drunken aggressive behaviour towards passengers or crew. The Captain reserves the right to terminate the cruise immediately and return to mooring if in his entire discretion the conduct, actions or behaviour of any passengers is such that it jeapordises the health and or safety of the crew, other passengers or other vessels on the river. If a cruise has to be abandoned or terminated due to the above or due to breaches of our Premises Licence conditions, no refund shall be given. Details of our Premises Licence are available on request.
Boat Hire in Oxford
Find out more about our Punting & Boat Hire in Oxford.